Mr. Matetsky is a partner in the Commercial Litigation, Cooperative and Condominium Law and Employment and Labor Law Practice Groups at Ganfer & Shore.
His 25 years of practice includes extensive experience in representing private and public companies, other entities, and individuals in complex disputes including commercial, contract, securities, employment, and real estate related matters.
He handles litigation in federal and state courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as arbitration and mediation proceedings. He also has substantial experience in the coordination of multi-jurisdictional litigation, both domestic and international.
Prior to joining Ganfer & Shore in 2004, Mr. Matetsky spent twelve years as a litigation attorney at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP followed by five years as Deputy General Counsel and then Co-General Counsel of Goya Foods, Inc., the international food and beverage company.
Mr. Matetsky has written a number of published articles on various legal topics and has edited legal publications including the annual supplements to In Chambers Opinions of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States and The Green Bag Almanac and Reader 2012. He is a Master and active member of the New York American Inn of Court. He is recognized as a “New York Super Lawyer” and is a past recipient of the President’s Pro Bono Service Award of the New York State Bar Association.
Mr. Matetsky has also been the primary author since 2005 of Ganfer & Shore’s monthly Client Advisory newsletter, keeping clients and friends of the firm up to date on selected developments in New York cooperative, condominium, and real estate law. He also serves as editor of the firm’s monthly Client Employment Law Advisory and periodic Client Corporate Law Advisory.
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1987)
Princeton University (A.B., 1984)
Memberships and admissions
State of New York (1987)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (1988)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (1988)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (1994)
Supreme Court of the United States (1995)
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (1999)
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit (1999)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (2000)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit (2002)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York (2007)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2012)
Member, American Bar Association (Litigation Section); Federal Bar Council; New York State Bar Association (Commercial and Federal Litigation Section); New York City Bar Association; New York County Lawyers Association
Master and member, New York American Inn of Court
Recipient, President's Pro Bono Service Award, New York State Bar Association
Member, Board of Education, Baldwin Union Free School District (1983-1989); Vice President, 1983-1989
Co-Editor, The Green Bag Almanac and Reader 2012; Member of the Board of Advisors, 2008-present
Co-Editor, In Chambers Opinions of the Members of the Supreme Court of the United States, 2005-present
- Lead counsel for a group of minority shareholders in an Israeli-headquartered earth-observation satellite company, responsible for coordinating litigation in jurisdictions including the United States, Israel, and Curaçao (former Netherlands Antilles)
- Member of the Ganfer & Shore litigation team representing Mr. Stan Lee, the iconic comic-book writer and editor, in intellectual property matters in New York and California
- Successfully represented a New York City condominium in litigation against a commercial unit owner who refused to contribute to the common charges and expenses of the condominium
- Successfully represented several New York City cooperatives in various litigations, including defense of a cooperative in a suit by a by a group of tenant-shareholders who sought to enjoin a renovation project, and defense of another cooperative against a suit by a tenant-shareholder who sought to enjoin the cooperative from paying for necessary window repairs
- Successfully represented a brokerage firm in defeating a claim by a former broker in a litigation over calculation of compensation under an employment agreement
- Member of the litigation team that successfully represented an international food and beverage company and its owners in multijurisdictional contract, corporate, and inheritance litigation (including proceedings in federal and state courts in New York, New Jersey, and Puerto Rico), resulting in dismissal of all claims against the company and its owners and recovery of more than $6 million in attorneys’ fees and litigation expenses